Friday, November 5, 2010

California Midterm Election Governor Results


Jerry Brown is officially the next governor of California. He won this week's midterm election with 4,086,579 votes, totally around 53.5% of the votes. He beat Meg Whitman by 934,213 votes and 12.2%. Brown released a statement saying that he wants an end of the "polarization, hostility, and division" that has been in politics these past years. Because of the sweep of Republican wins all over the country, Brown promises that "I will be a frugal governor who will make hard decisions, who won't tax people without their approval." In response to her defeat, Meg Whitman said "It is now time for California to unite behind the common cause of turning around the state that we love...This election was much bigger than Gov. Brown or me ... our challenges are daunting, and they won't be solved by politics as usual. ... It is my hope that a new era of bipartisan problem solving can begin tonight...The journey is ending, but our mission is not. We did not achieve the victory we worked so hard for but if we all work together to demand change a new California will rise."

I am personally very pleased that Jerry Brown won the election. If I was old enough to vote, I would have voted for him, and my family voted him as well. I wanted a Democrat as the governor, because our previous governor was a Republican and he put us in this mess. Schwarzenegger was also a political outsider like Whitman, and I think it would have been unwise to put someone else who is inexperienced into office. Jerry Brown was governor thirty years ago when California was dealing with a similar financial crisis, and he helped pull the state out of it, so I have hope that he will have success again. I think that having a seasoned politician in office, who knows how politics in California work from personal experience will help because he'll know how to go around bureaucracy and what to look out for that can stand in his way.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/02/MNB91G53TG.DTL#ixzz14TC6xK51

No comments:

Post a Comment